Chilterns Photography Competition - Let's Get Started!
So you really would like to win one of our fantastic prizes - but how to find a winning subject for your photo?
If you're a regular visitor to the Chilterns then you may already have a favourite spot, or a magnificent view that you would like to share in your photo. And with the onset of Autumn, it may be a matter of choosing the right moment to capture that location at its best, whether that's blanketed in early morning frost or bathed in a glorious sunset.
But if you're not yet decided on a subject, why not use the competition as a good reason to discover something new? The Chilterns AONB is a BIG place (324 square miles of countryside to be exact). It stretches from the River Thames in southern Oxfordshire up through Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire to Hitchin in Hertfordshire – So we can understand if you feel a little overwhelmed about where to begin. From Bucks Goat Centre to a cruise along the Thames, from a family cycling trip along the Phoenix Trail to flying a kite at Dunstable Downs there is so much for you to see and do. Why not check out our short list of ideas and inspirations for places to go, on your own or with your little ones to snap your best pics. Here are a couple of ideas to whet your appetite...
- The Chilterns Walking Festival runs from the 6th - 21st October and has over 50 exciting walks and activities planned, from Henley's Histories and Midsomer Murders filming locations to the Bradenham 10k trail run, to a little piggies farm walk or a Wellbeing Walk to the Chalk Hills, there really is something for everyone to enjoy. Why not take a look at the list of walks, book a place and get snapping for the competition while you're there?
- Chiltern Open Air Museum is open until 25th October with tons of historic replica buildings, woodland walks and farm animals. The museum is well worth a visit and full of fascinating subjects for budding photographers.
- Perhaps you fancy capturing the rich hues of autumnal leaves but you're not sure where to go? The National Trust Ashridge Estate is a huge area of woodlands and downland near Berkhamsted with many walking and cycling routes and a visitor centre. On Sat 6 October from 10am-2pm, National Trust volunteers are running a guided "Ashridge in Autumn Walk" to present the very best of the estate during this picturesque season. It's a great opportunity to take some photos of the trees in their autumn beauty. To find out more click here.
- If it's a walk or a cycle around the area you'd prefer, check out our interactive map and choose your perfect location
- There are lots of other ideas on our website of course - take a look at some of our favourite Places to Go and Things to do
And once you've decided upon your perfect day out, don't forget to take a snap of your favourite spot - remember our theme is "What does the Chilterns Mean to you". Once you're happy with your image enter our competition by the 31st October to be in with a chance of winning some fantastic prizes!